Treasures, Treasuries, and Thoughts

I swore I would never do a blog! So much for swearing. I didn't think that I would have much to say or share. I was wrong! I have been so blessed with a wonderful family, loyal friends, sharing colleagues, and the support from so many that I will never run out of topics to write about.

I have opened an on-line store at a place called Etsy (rhymes with Betsy). The items on the left are available for purchase there. These will change from week to week to show you my latest creations. The link to the store is in the upper left corner of this page.

I also have items for sale listed on Art Fire. The link to my Art Fire Studio is http://www.jstinson.artfire.com/

I hope you will visit this blog, my Flickr page (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jstinson/2500402289/) and my Etsy and/or Art Fire stores often. (http://www.jstinson.etsy.com/ http://www.jstinson.artfire.com


So come along on my Trail of Treasures! It will be a Spirit Journey for me and I invite you to join me on the trip.

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Birch Bark Cut Out Pins by Lois Beardslee, Ojibwe Artist and Author














In March, I had the distinct honor of being invited to display my work at a theatrical performance of "Sacred Sites" at the Rose Theater in Omaha, Nebraska. During this three day performance, I was introduced to Lois Beardslee who contributed to the writing of the play. Lois had a display of her birch bark work that included cut outs, bitings, and paintings. Her books were on display as were her quill work, sweet grass baskets and the most wonderful smelling sweet grass hat she had woven.
Not only is she a wonderful talent, she is a remarkable woman. Lois lives on her family farm in Maple City, MI part of the year and in her remote family camps in northern Ontarior the rest of the year. She is a graduate of the University of New Mexico and has authored several books including Lies to Live By, Warrior Women, Rachel's Children, and Not Far Away.
Between performances, I purchased the birch bark pins that are shown here. I fully intended to purchase a "biting" at the close of the show. However, I got very busy in my display area, and Lois was gone before I got the job done. I am sure that Lois would have a story to tell about putting things off! I should not have waited when I knew full well that I wanted one. Lois is one of the few, if not the only, person left who does birch bark "bitings", an old Ojibwe art form.
I still intend to have one to add to my trail of treasures.
The pictures are the pins I purchased and one of Lois collecting her bark in the woods of Canada. Back of Pin, Gigohn (Fish), Gigonh (Fish), Mknaak (Turtle), Myiingunh (Wolf), Shigaak (Skunk), Waaboos (Rabbit)

5 comments:

The Filigree Garden said...

Thanks for sharing her work. The pins are lovely and very animated in color and shape.

Jean Levert Hood said...

Joni, this work is fabulous. thank you so much for showing this to us.

Unknown said...

I think the fish is my favorite. I have no idea what a "biting" looks like; could you post a pic?

ViKotas

jstinson said...

If you would like to view or purchase Lois' work, go to:
http://www.prairiehousegallery.com/category.aspx?categoryID=189

Anonymous said...

I seldom leave comments on blog, but I have been to this post which was recommended by my friend, lots of valuable details, thanks again.