Treasures, Treasuries, and Thoughts

I swore I would never do a blog! So much for swearing. I didn't think that I would have much to say or share. I was wrong! I have been so blessed with a wonderful family, loyal friends, sharing colleagues, and the support from so many that I will never run out of topics to write about.

I have opened an on-line store at a place called Etsy (rhymes with Betsy). The items on the left are available for purchase there. These will change from week to week to show you my latest creations. The link to the store is in the upper left corner of this page.

I also have items for sale listed on Art Fire. The link to my Art Fire Studio is http://www.jstinson.artfire.com/

I hope you will visit this blog, my Flickr page (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jstinson/2500402289/) and my Etsy and/or Art Fire stores often. (http://www.jstinson.etsy.com/ http://www.jstinson.artfire.com


So come along on my Trail of Treasures! It will be a Spirit Journey for me and I invite you to join me on the trip.

Friday, August 31, 2012

Meet Blue Moon

In the late 70’s or early 80’s I chanced to see a piece of work done by a contemporary western sculptor named Les Welliver.  I was so enthralled with it that I wanted to see more of his work.  I learned that he was an artist who lived in Montana and used wild life and Indians as his subjects.  I began trying to locate a source for his work.  I finally succeeded. 

I was lucky enough to find a perfect piece to give to my husband, Warren, for his up-coming birthday.  Since Warren is an anatomist, I knew he would appreciate the detail in the piece I had selected and purchased.  And sure enough, he was both surprised and delighted. 

Blue Moon by Les Welliver


As he inspected the piece, we both agreed that the figure’s face was wise, somewhat wizened and humble.  However, her chest told a completely different story.   Her well-formed and taunt breasts were both bold and quite boastful. 

Warren wanted to thank the artist for having done the piece and gave him a phone call.  During their long conversation, Warren asked if he had used a live model to create the piece as its anatomy was so detailed and correct.  Les informed him that he had not used a model but he had seen a few women and had a good memory. 

We all laughed.

Now I can’t recall the original name of piece.  I am sure I have it written down somewhere.  But it isn’t what she is called anymore and her original name will have no significance here. 

As Warren and Les visited on, they both agreed that it would only be “once in a blue moon” that one would could expect to find such an extraordinary body on one so wise and humble as this lady appeared.     Thus the piece was re-named Blue Moon.

Blue Moon has graced our family room mantle since that day and once in a blue moon I reflect on that phone conversation we had with this great artist and chuckle about her re-naming ceremony.  

Blue Moon…today is your day.  What a privilege it is to have had you with us all of these years! 







1 comment:

(Karen) Lisa Daley said...

She's really beautiful Joni. Looking at antique photos of Native people, most of their faces show the aging effects of outdoor life at a young age - even the children. The artist resisted idealizing her face to match her body and that's what gives the sculpture soul. I saw some of his other work on line and it's awesome, but I think you may have snagged his best piece!