Treasures, Treasuries, and Thoughts

I swore I would never do a blog! So much for swearing. I didn't think that I would have much to say or share. I was wrong! I have been so blessed with a wonderful family, loyal friends, sharing colleagues, and the support from so many that I will never run out of topics to write about.

I have opened an on-line store at a place called Etsy (rhymes with Betsy). The items on the left are available for purchase there. These will change from week to week to show you my latest creations. The link to the store is in the upper left corner of this page.

I also have items for sale listed on Art Fire. The link to my Art Fire Studio is http://www.jstinson.artfire.com/

I hope you will visit this blog, my Flickr page (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jstinson/2500402289/) and my Etsy and/or Art Fire stores often. (http://www.jstinson.etsy.com/ http://www.jstinson.artfire.com


So come along on my Trail of Treasures! It will be a Spirit Journey for me and I invite you to join me on the trip.

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Jim Thorpe...My Father's Friend

Today I received a notice of the paper back release of the book, Native American Son: The Life and Sporting Legend of Jim Thorpe by Kate Buford. Our good friend David Frost e-mailed me about this. David, now retired, was an editor for Doubleday and ghost wrote the book, RN, Richard Nixon’s biography.


The name Jim Thorpe brought back many wonderful memories to me.

My father was a friend of Jim Thorpe’s and spoke at an enormous Gathering for the purposes of unveiling this portrait. This portrait hangs in the Oklahoma State Capital and is viewed by thousands annually.


That unveiling of this portrait was back in 1968. I was there….very pregnant with my son Patrick. Warren, husband, baby sat our 4 year old son Scott, while my Father and I attended this huge celebration. Native dancers from all over the United States performed. Notables and friends, including my father, spoke at the event. Members of the Thorpe family were present.  I was so honored to be present.

It was an extremely hot Oklahoma day. At mid point, a communal water bucket with a dipper was passed from person to person. As badly as I wanted a drink of water…I couldn’t do it. I feared I might kill my unborn child!

The Capital has revolving doors.  I remember the Master of Ceremonies announceing that an Indian child was caught up in the White Man’s door and didn’t know how to get out.  A hunting party was sent out.  They rescued the very dizzy child and we applauded.

A Native Medicine Man was present. While he was his tribal Medicine Man, he also had a medical degree from Harvard. The best of both worlds!

A Snake Dance was performed by a Southwestern tribe.  Live snakes were released on the grounds….that was a bit scary!  I have yet to see this dance performed again.

I was also on the set when the movie about Jim Thorpe was filmed at Bacone Indian College in Muskogee, Oklahoma.  Though Jim Thorpe went to Carlisle, not Bacone, the movie was filmed there.  Burt Lancaster played Jim Thorpe…but that is another story.   I will save that one for another day.

Back to Jim Thorpe…..Did You Know?

 Jim Thorpe was not a citizen of the United States of America when he won the pentathlon and decathlon in the 1912 Olympics.

 Jim hit three home runs in one day,one in Arkansas, one in Texas and one in Oklahoma.

 Jim's best season was his last one. He batted .327 in 60 games for Boston.

 Jim earned 11 letters in sports at the University of Carlisle, he even won the inter-collegate ballroom dancing championship in 1912.

 Jim played football with a president of the United States of America. (Dwight Eisenhower)

 Jim was the first President of the NFL.

 Jim's favorite breakfast was squirrel and cream gravy.

 Jim not only played Pro football and baseball, he also played Pro basketball.

It was a memorable day. Jim Thorpe was a memorable man.

Note: The paper back book is available on Amazon. I will be purchasing one..if you have interest, here is the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Native-American-Son-Sporting-Legend/dp/0803240899/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330573078&sr=8-1

4 comments:

(Karen) Lisa Daley said...

Interesting post Joni, enjoyable reading :>)

rctees said...

Joni, I'm so glad you posted this on FB or else I would have missed it.

Such an interesting life you have led my dear friend.

Thanks so much for sharing!
♥toni

jstinson said...

Lisa...glad you enjoyed it. I had fun mentally reliving that day.

jstinson said...

Toni...bless your heart! I am glad you enjoyed the blog. I am blessed with having had an interesting life and having friends like you have made it just that!