Treasures, Treasuries, and Thoughts

I swore I would never do a blog! So much for swearing. I didn't think that I would have much to say or share. I was wrong! I have been so blessed with a wonderful family, loyal friends, sharing colleagues, and the support from so many that I will never run out of topics to write about.

I have opened an on-line store at a place called Etsy (rhymes with Betsy). The items on the left are available for purchase there. These will change from week to week to show you my latest creations. The link to the store is in the upper left corner of this page.

I also have items for sale listed on Art Fire. The link to my Art Fire Studio is http://www.jstinson.artfire.com/

I hope you will visit this blog, my Flickr page (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jstinson/2500402289/) and my Etsy and/or Art Fire stores often. (http://www.jstinson.etsy.com/ http://www.jstinson.artfire.com


So come along on my Trail of Treasures! It will be a Spirit Journey for me and I invite you to join me on the trip.

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Eve's Fund: Join Me In A Little Thanksgiving



As many of you know, I had the distinct honor and priviledge of being selected to bead bracelets from the logo of Eve's Fund.

Eve’s Fund is a Native American Health Initiatives Inc. that promotes programs to help Native Americans. It was established in 2005 by Dr. Robert M. Crowell, a retired neurosurgeon and named in memory of his daughter, Eve Erin Crowell, who died tragically in February of that year. Eve’s Fund is a non-profit 501 (c)(3) organization incorporated in New Mexico.

This morning I received the Eve's Fund November Newsletter via e-mail. One item caught my undivided attention and reminded me of all that I have to be thankful for. It was facing the fact that there are many Native children who do not own books.

Can you imagine your growing up without owning a single book? Can you imagine your Grandchildren not owning a book? But it is true that there are many Native children who don't have the luxury of book ownership. I find this fact to be very sad and I am so thankful that a large part of Eve's Fund is promoting literacy.

For a mere $5.00 donation, they will ship a book to a Native child. Remembering the pleasure of reading books to my three grandchildren and in purchasing books for them, I determined to purchase books for three Native children in the name of my three grandchildren.

We take so much for granted! We forget how blessed we are!

If you would like to make a similar Thanksgiving gift, it is very simple. Go to this site. http://evecrowellsfund.org/Eves_Fund_for_Native_American_Health_Initiatives/Thanksgiving2009.html
Click on "Donate". You can pay with Paypal.

What a simple way to say "Thanks" for all the pleasure books have given you and to provide that experience for another child. Join me in a little Thanksgiving.

8 comments:

Renée Gandy said...

Thanks for letting us know about this..all children should have books..

jstinson said...

Renee, I agree! We just take for granted that all children do..and that is far from the case! I appreciate your comment.

Pamela Baker said...

As an very avid reader, and one who started reading to my children when they were about 5 mos old, of which I still have all their books. This is an organization I find to be one of great value. So many people don't realize that reading even the smallest of books, opens up the mind of a child tremendously. Thank you for sharing this with us. Yes, of course, I already made my donation.

Anonymous said...

Joni great post and thank you for the link. This is a
very valuable way to contribute to the literacy of
children.

jstinson said...

Pam...thank you for your generosity. I feel the same way that you do and I know that Eve's Fund is a wonderful foundation. You can rest assured that your donation will be 100% delivered.

jstinson said...

Six..thanks for your lovely comments. I agree 100%!

GrandmaMarilyn said...

In this day and age, it is hard to believe that children in the US don't have books. This is a worthy cause.

jstinson said...

Grandma Marilyn, I couldn't agree with you more! There is a lot of injustice and inequity out there. More than most of us realize! Thanks for your comment.